Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Today is National Running Day!


Today is National Running Day. Coincidentally it is also The Law Enforcement Torch Run for Maine Special Olympics. This is the 12th year I have been involved with the  Maine Special Olympics and the 28th year Ogunquit Police has participated. 


I started the day with a easy run though the village and Marginal Way and Perkins Cove. I almost always run in the morning, It's a way to clear my head and wake up my body. I am able to collect my thoughts, think and enjoy the beautiful sounds of the sea. 


Following my short run in the morning, it was off to the York/Ogunquit town line and wait for the "Flame of Hope torch" that is being carried throughout Maine to signal the start of the Maine Special Olympics. 



In the spirit of community policing, Ogunquit Police, invites the community  to run with members of the police department.  This year, Laura Rose, of Compass Rose Yoga, Ogunquit lifeguard, Nick Lumenello with his brothers, as well as innkeepers, Jimmy Lucibello and Rick Barber participated in the run. 

Before we ran, Yoga instructor, Laura Rose warmed us up with a variety of yoga poses. Bear in mind, we are on US Route 1,  at the town line during rush hour, doing these poses. I am sure it was a sight to see!


The best part of the Torch Run is the overwhelming  support from the townspeople. As we run through town, people wave, cheer and toot their horns. They also show support monetarily. 

       (photo courtesy of Jordan Freedman) 

In the spirit of National Running day, I will run for a third time today. An easy run with my cousin Joshua.






No comments:

Post a Comment