Saturday, September 17, 2011

Lobster Dash 2011



One of my favorite things is to run on Ogunquit beach at low tide. The dramatic tides and hard packed sand make Ogunquit beach unique and perfect for running.

Today was a perfect day for the 11th annual Lobster Dash. The Lobster Dash is in memory of Greg Gumbinner. One of Gumbinner's favorite sayings was "It can't be a bad day if you can run on Ogunquit beach", and THIS Greg agrees with him! It's always a good day if you can run on Ogunquit beach!

This year there were 231 entrants on a cool blustery sunny morning (temps were in the low 40's, 6c). The course starts at the "point" on Ogunquit beach, and goes 2.5 miles north, to the end of the beach in neighboring Wells Maine, and return back. There are small tide pools and gullies that you have to maneuver through. The day was extremely sunny with a slight wind.


Upon completing the race, contestants receive a medal, a cotton t-shirt, breakfast foods, and a Lobster Roll. Yes, the Lobster Dash is a unique race! Well worth the entrance fee of $22...(and that includes beach parking 'til 11am).


Out of 214 entrants I placed 15th overall and 1st in my age category. My time is 34.08 at 6.50 minutes per mile. I actually did better this year than last year. last years time was 35.30. Most people run slower on sand, than asphalt or a track, so I was happy with my time.


Approaching the finish line. I do have the "home team" advantage, and there is a lobster roll waiting for me!

Race Director, Charlie Farrington of Ogunquit, led the award ceremonies....Charlie is a marathon reacer with over 52 marathons under his belt.


No comments:

Post a Comment