Thursday, April 15, 2010

The lure of the shore....


We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came.


-John F. Kennedy



From my earliest memory the ocean has been part of my life. I've always lived within a couple of minutes of the sea (except for 4 years when I went to college in Western Massachusetts). The ocean comforts me, amazes me, inspires me and humbles me. I love the sound of the crashing waves during a storm. The salt-water air is refreshing. There is something special about the seashore...


One of my favorite excursions is to exit  Ogunquit Beach Inn and go right on to Shore Road. Shore Road weaves and follows the craggy shoreline from Ogunquit,  past Perkins Cove to the villages of Cape Neddick, York Beach, and York Harbor in the town of York.


The drive is enjoyable. A favorite spot to stop is at the Ogunquit Museum of American Art. The museum grounds are spectacular. This is a favorite point on the shore where the early 20th century artists painted. Continue past the Museum and you'll see piles of lobster traps, weathered houses and the rolling green hills of the Cape Neddick Country Club. Shore Road weaves around many small coves, inlets and beaches. Its the quintessential Maine that everyone loves.......

There are many photo opportunities along Shore Road....

No comments:

Post a Comment