Ogunquit is known for the Ogunquit Museum of American Art and the Ogunquit Heritage Museum,
but there is one museum that is in plain view that people often overlook.....
The Ogunquit Fire Company Museum is located on the corner of Shore Road and Cottage Street next to the Fire Station. This miniature museum houses an antique fire engine and other accoutrement from a bygone era.
The engine is a horse drawn steam boiler from 1883 called Little Lulu. Little Lulu was manufactured by the Button Fire Engine Company of Waterford New York. The Engine was made for the Reading Massachusetts Fire Dept. In 1966, the steam engine was given to the Ogunquit Fire Company by retired Reading Fire Chief Hugh Ames. Ames retired in Ogunquit and became a member of the Fire Company.
Also housed at this micro museum, is a collection of firemen's hats from days gone by; a collection of trophies from fire musters that Ogunquit Fire Company has participated in, and other fire related apparatus. The museum is located in Firemen's Park next to the Fire Station.